Skip to main content

Ears that Hear


He who has ears, let him hear. [Matthew 11:15] 

Over my lifetime in the the church, I had been part of a number of baptisms and present at many more. But it had been at least 5 years since the last one. Then one Sunday, not that long ago, I inadvertently ended up at a church service where baptisms were being celebrated. Had I known in advance, I might not have been there. I didn’t know the families and wasn’t even a regular attendee at the church. Following the act of baptism, the priest prayed over the newly baptized just before passing over the lit candle that represents the light of Christ. It was at the point that things got very unfamiliar to me. I had heard this prayer many times before, but I had never heard this prayer! Apparently I had never had ‘ears’ before at this place in the liturgy, because I was surprised by what that prayer asked. In part it says of the newly baptized: “Give them an inquiring and discerning heart, the courage to will and to persevere, a spirit to know and to love you, and the gift of joy and wonder in all your works."

What makes it even more intriguing is that when I recounted this experience to others, I was asked ‘What prayer? What did it say?”. So I pulled The B.A.S. [Book of Alternative Services] off the shelf and read it out to them. Although they were all life-long members of the Anglican Church, the words were new to them as well, and they agreed with me that these were words that each of us would want to apply to ourselves. What more could any of us want, both for ourselves and for others, than that we mature by asking questions and discerning the answers with our hearts, that we show courage and perseverance in how we live our lives, that spiritually we grow to know and love our creator or as Paul Tillich said, ‘the ground of Being-itself’, and that our lives are crowned with the awe and wonder of all creation.

In a way this reminded me of the experience of coming home after being away for a few days and all a once seeing the cracks in the ceiling or the the faded upholstery. How, I would ask myself, could I live with these things on a daily basis and not notice them? In the same way, how could these words have been heard, so often, yet in reality remain unheard? 

That question is not just for me, but also I think points up one of the major challenges within the church itself.  How can the church help those regularly sitting in the pews to actually be present during the service, hearing with ears that actually are tuned in to hear the message being shared? Perhaps more hands-on participation or experiencing more ownership of the liturgical content might be the answer. I don’t know what the answer is, but somehow those of us in 'the comfortable pew' need to hear with new ears…




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This, too ...

  ‘By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to set out for a place that he was to receive as an inheritance; and he set out, not knowing where he was going.’   -Hebrews 11:8  Dr. Theresa Tam, Chief Public Health Officer of Canada, says this, too, will pass . Dr. Eileen de Villa, Medical Official of Health for Toronto, says this, too, will pass . Justin Trudeau , Prime Minister of Canada, says this, too, will pass . But will it really??? Some days this feels like an unending struggle with just one tiny step forward and not just two, but more like a dozen steps back.  Of course I’m talking about COVID-19 with all its associated variants. We might even be forgiven for rewriting that well known quote from Ecclesiastes to read…. For everything there is a season,…but  just not for this ! Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, a French priest,  might well have been talking about COVID   when he penned the lines below: We should like to skip  The ...

Challenging Faith

“All giving constitutes a challenge to faith because there is no guarantee of a return.” When I heard this statement as part of a sermon on Rogation Sunday, my ears pricked up and my mind started to spin. The rest of the sermon had things to say as well, but this sentence is still the one that has stuck with me. It made, and is still making me think! For those of us who identify ourselves with the church, whenever we hear the word ‘givings’ our minds go immediately to what we put on the offering plate each Sunday and for that we expect, but are not guaranteed, that the church will be there for us when we need it; for weddings, baptisms, funerals and other rites of passage. However what intrigues me about this quotation is that first word. “ ALL giving constitutes a challenge …” And how true it is! Each time we ‘give’ something away and it doesn’t have the expected return, it is upsetting and we have all had that experience. I remember many years ago s...

'God's Presence'

“God's presence is incarnated in the times and places when and where people are willing to be vulnerable and allow the spirit to work unimpeded.”  ~ Quoted anonymously While reflecting on this statement, the story of the woman with the hemorrhage kept coming into my mind. It is told in all three of the synoptic gospels, but with a difference: in Matthew the woman does not come forward to admit  publicly  that she had touched Jesus’ cloak. If we look at the story in Mark and Luke, we see in both accounts that she was unnoticed in the touching the hem of Jesus’ garment, even by the disciplines, and could have just gone away healed and unknown [as she did in Matthew].  But although she was frightened of what Jesus might say to her because, after all, she had made him ritually unclean, she came forwarded and admitted that she was the one who touched him. And THAT act was what made the most difference to her life.  Yes, she had been healed physically...

"A Leap of Faith"

"Leap of faith - yes, but only after reflection"        -  Søren  Kierkegaard "Much of Kierkegaard's authorship explores the notion of the absurd: Job gets everything back again by the virtue of the absurd (Repetition); Abraham gets a reprieve from having to sacrifice Isaac, by virtue of the absurd (Fear and Trembling); Kierkegaard hoped to get Regine back again after breaking off their engagement, by virtue of the absurd (Journals); ... the Christian God is represented as absolutely transcendent of human categories yet is absurdly presented as a personal God with the human capacities to love, judge, forgiver, teach, etc."  (ex cerpt from   Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy - emphasis mine) Just what does Kierkegaard’s ‘leap of faith’ mean . . . especially if we consider that,   as he also postulates,  religion is ‘absurd’ [or as the dictionary says, ’ inconsisten...

"Property of Jesus"

Have you seen people wearing shirts that say "Property of Jesus"  Perhaps you have seen them for sale in a Christian book store? Have you stopped to consider just what that motto says about the wearer, or more importantly just what it might say about you? 'Property' in a business dictionary, is defined as: " Quality or thing owned or possessed . In Law: Article, item, or thing owned with the rights of possession, use, and enjoyment,...  " So if we are the property of another, then they have complete control over us. We are in fact their slave . According to the dictionary, a slave is " someone who is legally owned by another person and is forced to work for that person without pay ; a person who is strongly influenced and controlled " I wonder if the persons wearing these shirts ever consider what they are actually proclaiming? If in fact they are the 'Property of Jesus', does that not mean that they have no choic...

An Allegory

Once upon a time there was a knight and his lady, who lived contently for many years in a southern kingdom. As they aged however, their manor became too big for them and so they decided to relocate in a northern kingdom where smaller quarters were available. They left their friends of many years with a sad good-bye and set off for new adventures. They settled quite happily in their new abode, and joined in all the activities and merry-making until one day, they had to drop out of some of the activities because of their declining years.  No one came to ask them why they were no longer taking part. Instead the rest of the folk in that kingdom ignored them and it became very lonely for the knight and his lady The king suggested that they might be happier is a neighbouring kingdom and so they moved a short distance and set up house one more time.  This time though things went well for many years.  Then the king died. The heir apparent had many different ideas about what ...

"On Giving Thanks"

Thanksgiving Is usually one of those ‘easy’ times for me.   It is easy to be thankful living with abundance, in safety, with family and friends – so many things to give thanks for, so many blessings undeserved. Some years and for some people, it is not so. What would Thanksgiving mean to me then? How would I deal with it? I came across this prayer not long ago ~           For that which was           For that which is           For that which will be          Thanks be to God And I began to wonder ~ Is the real meaning behind Thanksgiving not so much the ability to be thankful for those things we have in abundance? After all, that is easy.  But rather to be thankful for everything we have been given or experienced in life, or are now experiencing: the highs and the lows, the mountain-top experiences and the valleys of death, the deserts and the abundant har...

What We Really Need....

“The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honourable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson Not long ago, after helping a friend, they made the comment that they didn’t know how to thank us for all we had done. My answer was not to worry, that it had made us feel useful, adding that was something that didn’t happen all that much in our lives any more. I had realized earlier this year, that we were, in our seventies, officially empty-nesters for the first time with both grandchildren away to university and only their parents and ourselves left to our own devices in the house we shared for 15+ years!  And it was a strange feeling, one of being suddenly less involved in life. However this latest experience with our friend led me into thinking more deeply about the need we have to be useful.  After all we have been useful all our lives. As children we probably had a pet o...

An apple a day...

I’m sure we all have heard the old adage “An apple a day keeps the doctor away”. The original phrase ‘‘Eat an apple on going to bed, and you’ll keep the doctor from earning his bread” had its first recorded use in the 1860, but the concept is quite old going back to Roman and Anglo-Saxon times. I know I heard it many times during my growing up years.  And I must admit that in late years I have tended to relegate apples to an occasional rather than a daily fruit. That, however, is about to change! The following landed in my inbox not long ago and made me rethink my relationship to the lowly apple. Any one of these claims is certainly a reason to add apples back into my daily diet. “Did you know that –according to Medical News Today, which ranks apples as the Number One healthiest food based on research studies– apples can potentially: * Have the same effect as statins in preventing vascular deaths… * Improve neurological health… * Prevent dementia… * Reduce risk of st...

To Mask or Not.....

  It was you who formed my inward parts;  you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Psalm 139:13-14(a)     I have spent most of my life trying to fit in…. sure that there had to be something wrong with me. I simply preferred the company of a book or one or two friends to a  more lively or congregant setting. I found  myself unwilling to take part in discussions as my words were either ignored or met with upraised eyebrows. Over the years I worked at ‘fitting in’ until I finally realized that that wasn't who and what I was. Now the pandemic restrictions  are being  or have been erased, I find that old feeling returning. Perhaps you’re an extrovert and glad to be in the midst of people again, to eat  inside restaurants and bars, to go to indoor parties,  to take a bus trip, to go to the theatre, or to have people to your home. While on the other hand, I am not comfor...