Skip to main content

"Friendly?"

You go somewhere new. You come away and say “They were a friendly lot” You hear a church, or a club, or a choir, described as being ‘friendly’. You say of someone that you may have known for many years that they are your ‘best’ friend, or in the vernacular of the day that they are your BFF. We hear that dogs are man’s [or woman’s] best friend. All these ways of using the word ‘friend’ have slightly different meanings. However they all fall within the meanings given by the Merriman-Webster dictionary: “acting like a friend, kind & helpful; having or showing the feelings friends have for each other; showing approval or support”.

In John 13:34, 35, we read these words that the writer put on the lips of Jesus: "Let me give you a new commandment: Love one another. In the same way I loved you, you love one another. This is how everyone will recognize that you are my disciples - when they see the love you have for each other."

Surely these words challenge us to a higher standard. So just what should I expect of a church that describes itself as friendly?

The same courtesy that I would expect at any gathering should be a given: friendly greetings, chit-chat, superficial interest in my family and my life, with a friendly goodbye at the finish…. this should all be expected without question. However, this is also only the beginning of what it means to be a friendly church. The Bible, that collection of literature that we as Christians look to for inspiration and guidance, has a harder saying for us.  We are called to treat our friends, indeed to love our friends, as Jesus loved.

So how then does this challenge us as a church community or any community of Christians to live? What actual difference does it make to live in love in a community? How will it ‘look different’ to outsides or newcomers?

To me, the real difference is in the depth of the relationship. Yes, it is about the superficial ‘Hellos’, the ‘How are you?’, the ‘What’s up?’, the social stuff of daily living.  But it is even more about what is not seen. It is about being aware when someone else is hurting and standing with them. It is about empowering each other so that everyone may express their ministry as an integral and valued part of the whole. It means when someone is missing from the community, you go looking for them and bring them back. It means that each and every member of the community is more important to you than your own life.

It does not mean that there are no disagreements, misunderstandings, hurt feeling or differing expectations. But it does mean that by listening to, by dialoguing with, and by communication, those issues can be resolved. The community does not hesitate to take up those hard issues that appear in the life of any group – but meets them head on, in a spirit of trust and vulnerability.

This, to me, would be a ‘friendly church’, where it could be said “and you know they are Christians by their love” – particularly by their love for one another.

Comments

  1. Your topic of conversion is a beautiful subject. Yes we all make the statement we have friends, I think of how often we use this word day to day, as you stated in your comments. When I saw the subject today I immediately was drawn into the Bible's interpretation of the word friend, Friendship and love run together in the scriptures and the one first text that came into my mind was the text in John 15;12,14, the impact of this kind of friendship is the kind we as Christian's should demonstrate towards one another. Yes our Christian family is like family we will indeed have moments of disagreement or perhaps hurt one another unintentionally or deal with frustrations with another person who may just rub us the wrong way and we are called to have our thinking readjusted or settled in the spirit of true love. I think John expressed the depth of how friendship and love among the family of God should be, for he states this, John 15;
    12 ‘This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. 13 No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command you. NRSV..

    I believe with all of my heart that in our Christian family and my friendship with them I can honestly say I don't think one would hesitate for a second out of friendship and love of Christ to give their life for another if need be, or go to a great lengths to help their Christian brothers or sisters. I know if it were asked of me I would ask God to give me the strength to show this love and depth of friendship to another. As it is a divine commandment set by our Lord Jesus Christ.
    I see so many loyal friendship within the parish and I have been the recipient of that great love from so many friends in Church.I am certain this exists in many of God's churches all around the world.
    I would like to believe that all the people who make the claim that they are my friends outside of my Christian family would show forth this same kind of devotion love and friendship, I believe I can say several would.
    However others I am not certain of because there is no depth to these friendships, It is as you put it , its,' hi how are you? how are you feeling> whats new?, this is all superficial. Its only when we go beyond these perimeters that we come to understand what the true meaning of friendship, love and loyalty is all about. We are then the true reflection of our Lord our Creator our Master Worker. For is true love and our best freind..

    I really enjoyed you topic today and I look forward to you blog each week. I can't wait to see what is in store next week. Thanks you for taking the time to share your blog with other. Terry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I apologize the last sentence I forgot to proof read ant the sentence should say I really enjoyed YOUR topic today and I look forward to YOUR blog each week, I can't wait to see what is in store next week. THANK you for taking the time to share your blog with others they are fantastic. Terry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry, I am going to push your comment a little farther. Where you say 'the impact of this kind of friendship is the kind we as Christian's should demonstrate towards one another', I would like to amend that to say 'the impact of this kind of friendship is the kind we as Christian's demonstrate towards one another'. I don't think there is room for a 'should' in that statement. If we want to call ourselves Christians, and are modeling our behavior on the reported behavior of Jesus, then there is no 'should' about it. Is this easy? NO Do we always succeed? NO But the expectation of Christians is that that is exactly how we live. When we don't, we have fallen short of that expectation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the word SHOULD have not be included in that statement. Your amendment is completely accurate.. I appreciate your conclusion. Thanks for drawing this to my attention. It broadens the meaning on a much greater scale.
      Shalom, Terry

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

This, too ...

  ‘By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to set out for a place that he was to receive as an inheritance; and he set out, not knowing where he was going.’   -Hebrews 11:8  Dr. Theresa Tam, Chief Public Health Officer of Canada, says this, too, will pass . Dr. Eileen de Villa, Medical Official of Health for Toronto, says this, too, will pass . Justin Trudeau , Prime Minister of Canada, says this, too, will pass . But will it really??? Some days this feels like an unending struggle with just one tiny step forward and not just two, but more like a dozen steps back.  Of course I’m talking about COVID-19 with all its associated variants. We might even be forgiven for rewriting that well known quote from Ecclesiastes to read…. For everything there is a season,…but  just not for this ! Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, a French priest,  might well have been talking about COVID   when he penned the lines below: We should like to skip  The ...

Challenging Faith

“All giving constitutes a challenge to faith because there is no guarantee of a return.” When I heard this statement as part of a sermon on Rogation Sunday, my ears pricked up and my mind started to spin. The rest of the sermon had things to say as well, but this sentence is still the one that has stuck with me. It made, and is still making me think! For those of us who identify ourselves with the church, whenever we hear the word ‘givings’ our minds go immediately to what we put on the offering plate each Sunday and for that we expect, but are not guaranteed, that the church will be there for us when we need it; for weddings, baptisms, funerals and other rites of passage. However what intrigues me about this quotation is that first word. “ ALL giving constitutes a challenge …” And how true it is! Each time we ‘give’ something away and it doesn’t have the expected return, it is upsetting and we have all had that experience. I remember many years ago s...

'God's Presence'

“God's presence is incarnated in the times and places when and where people are willing to be vulnerable and allow the spirit to work unimpeded.”  ~ Quoted anonymously While reflecting on this statement, the story of the woman with the hemorrhage kept coming into my mind. It is told in all three of the synoptic gospels, but with a difference: in Matthew the woman does not come forward to admit  publicly  that she had touched Jesus’ cloak. If we look at the story in Mark and Luke, we see in both accounts that she was unnoticed in the touching the hem of Jesus’ garment, even by the disciplines, and could have just gone away healed and unknown [as she did in Matthew].  But although she was frightened of what Jesus might say to her because, after all, she had made him ritually unclean, she came forwarded and admitted that she was the one who touched him. And THAT act was what made the most difference to her life.  Yes, she had been healed physically...

"A Leap of Faith"

"Leap of faith - yes, but only after reflection"        -  Søren  Kierkegaard "Much of Kierkegaard's authorship explores the notion of the absurd: Job gets everything back again by the virtue of the absurd (Repetition); Abraham gets a reprieve from having to sacrifice Isaac, by virtue of the absurd (Fear and Trembling); Kierkegaard hoped to get Regine back again after breaking off their engagement, by virtue of the absurd (Journals); ... the Christian God is represented as absolutely transcendent of human categories yet is absurdly presented as a personal God with the human capacities to love, judge, forgiver, teach, etc."  (ex cerpt from   Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy - emphasis mine) Just what does Kierkegaard’s ‘leap of faith’ mean . . . especially if we consider that,   as he also postulates,  religion is ‘absurd’ [or as the dictionary says, ’ inconsisten...

"Property of Jesus"

Have you seen people wearing shirts that say "Property of Jesus"  Perhaps you have seen them for sale in a Christian book store? Have you stopped to consider just what that motto says about the wearer, or more importantly just what it might say about you? 'Property' in a business dictionary, is defined as: " Quality or thing owned or possessed . In Law: Article, item, or thing owned with the rights of possession, use, and enjoyment,...  " So if we are the property of another, then they have complete control over us. We are in fact their slave . According to the dictionary, a slave is " someone who is legally owned by another person and is forced to work for that person without pay ; a person who is strongly influenced and controlled " I wonder if the persons wearing these shirts ever consider what they are actually proclaiming? If in fact they are the 'Property of Jesus', does that not mean that they have no choic...

"On Giving Thanks"

Thanksgiving Is usually one of those ‘easy’ times for me.   It is easy to be thankful living with abundance, in safety, with family and friends – so many things to give thanks for, so many blessings undeserved. Some years and for some people, it is not so. What would Thanksgiving mean to me then? How would I deal with it? I came across this prayer not long ago ~           For that which was           For that which is           For that which will be          Thanks be to God And I began to wonder ~ Is the real meaning behind Thanksgiving not so much the ability to be thankful for those things we have in abundance? After all, that is easy.  But rather to be thankful for everything we have been given or experienced in life, or are now experiencing: the highs and the lows, the mountain-top experiences and the valleys of death, the deserts and the abundant har...

An Allegory

Once upon a time there was a knight and his lady, who lived contently for many years in a southern kingdom. As they aged however, their manor became too big for them and so they decided to relocate in a northern kingdom where smaller quarters were available. They left their friends of many years with a sad good-bye and set off for new adventures. They settled quite happily in their new abode, and joined in all the activities and merry-making until one day, they had to drop out of some of the activities because of their declining years.  No one came to ask them why they were no longer taking part. Instead the rest of the folk in that kingdom ignored them and it became very lonely for the knight and his lady The king suggested that they might be happier is a neighbouring kingdom and so they moved a short distance and set up house one more time.  This time though things went well for many years.  Then the king died. The heir apparent had many different ideas about what ...

What We Really Need....

“The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honourable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson Not long ago, after helping a friend, they made the comment that they didn’t know how to thank us for all we had done. My answer was not to worry, that it had made us feel useful, adding that was something that didn’t happen all that much in our lives any more. I had realized earlier this year, that we were, in our seventies, officially empty-nesters for the first time with both grandchildren away to university and only their parents and ourselves left to our own devices in the house we shared for 15+ years!  And it was a strange feeling, one of being suddenly less involved in life. However this latest experience with our friend led me into thinking more deeply about the need we have to be useful.  After all we have been useful all our lives. As children we probably had a pet o...

An apple a day...

I’m sure we all have heard the old adage “An apple a day keeps the doctor away”. The original phrase ‘‘Eat an apple on going to bed, and you’ll keep the doctor from earning his bread” had its first recorded use in the 1860, but the concept is quite old going back to Roman and Anglo-Saxon times. I know I heard it many times during my growing up years.  And I must admit that in late years I have tended to relegate apples to an occasional rather than a daily fruit. That, however, is about to change! The following landed in my inbox not long ago and made me rethink my relationship to the lowly apple. Any one of these claims is certainly a reason to add apples back into my daily diet. “Did you know that –according to Medical News Today, which ranks apples as the Number One healthiest food based on research studies– apples can potentially: * Have the same effect as statins in preventing vascular deaths… * Improve neurological health… * Prevent dementia… * Reduce risk of st...

To Mask or Not.....

  It was you who formed my inward parts;  you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Psalm 139:13-14(a)     I have spent most of my life trying to fit in…. sure that there had to be something wrong with me. I simply preferred the company of a book or one or two friends to a  more lively or congregant setting. I found  myself unwilling to take part in discussions as my words were either ignored or met with upraised eyebrows. Over the years I worked at ‘fitting in’ until I finally realized that that wasn't who and what I was. Now the pandemic restrictions  are being  or have been erased, I find that old feeling returning. Perhaps you’re an extrovert and glad to be in the midst of people again, to eat  inside restaurants and bars, to go to indoor parties,  to take a bus trip, to go to the theatre, or to have people to your home. While on the other hand, I am not comfor...