Skip to main content

Music, music, music...



Sunday afternoon we were at a piano concert in our local theatre. The performers were 6 members of one family with the youngest being about 10 years of age. As I listened to the music I was amazed at the skill and dexterity that even that youngest member displayed. However, that wasn’t all.

I was taken back almost 70 years to when my burning desire was to learn to play a piano, to be able to make the instrument sing. I took every chance that came my way to experience having that instrument played for me. Then for my eighth birthday, I was allowed to pick out piano, a Heintzman piano, second-hand, but I didn’t care! My dreams of sitting down at that instrument and playing anything I wanted were about to be realized!

While I became a player who was capable of getting excellent scores on the Royal Conservatory of Music exams and one who my teacher wanted to go on to further study, I didn’t feel the magic of the keyboard. I was too focused on getting the notes ‘right' without ever taking the time to see how they related one to another, to experience the emotion that was in the music. It took another teacher, one 20 years later to do that. At least in part! 

We had just acquired an organ with a full pedal board for the house. I was recovering from an operation and decided to fill my time by taking Organ Lessons (focusing primarily on using the pedal board] from a nearby shop. Two breakthroughs happened. For the first time I realized that both the chords in a piece of music and the arpeggios, were simply different ways of playing the same notes! This was quite a surprise to me. 

But when my teacher said to me, ‘Just listen to how the music sounds in your own head, and then play it that way.’ I knew exactly why I hadn’t found playing the instrument fulfilling to this point, and more importantly why I never would. I couldn’t hear the music, and so I was destined to always being a rote player.

As I listened to the concert that Sunday all this went through my head. But it made a connection for me. I could see my years and years in the church, that never led where I hoped they would go, were much like my piano experience as a child. It was only when I was exposed to the writings and thoughts of such people as Dominic Crossan, Marcus J Borg, Walter Wink, Phyllis Tickle and Walter Brueggermann [to name just a few] that I was awakened to what lay beyond the dogmatic teaching I had previously been exposed to.  But there was a difference here. This time the thought and ideas expressed in those books and others resonated with the similar thoughts that already inhabited my mind.

And so a Sunday afternoon concert led me to this place in my spiritual journey, and gave me an appreciation for the lessons learned along the way.  You can’t force yourself, or simply wish [no matter how hard] to achieve something. But when the time is right, when the ground has been prepared, then, and only then, will things fall into place. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This, too ...

  ‘By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to set out for a place that he was to receive as an inheritance; and he set out, not knowing where he was going.’   -Hebrews 11:8  Dr. Theresa Tam, Chief Public Health Officer of Canada, says this, too, will pass . Dr. Eileen de Villa, Medical Official of Health for Toronto, says this, too, will pass . Justin Trudeau , Prime Minister of Canada, says this, too, will pass . But will it really??? Some days this feels like an unending struggle with just one tiny step forward and not just two, but more like a dozen steps back.  Of course I’m talking about COVID-19 with all its associated variants. We might even be forgiven for rewriting that well known quote from Ecclesiastes to read…. For everything there is a season,…but  just not for this ! Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, a French priest,  might well have been talking about COVID   when he penned the lines below: We should like to skip  The ...

Challenging Faith

“All giving constitutes a challenge to faith because there is no guarantee of a return.” When I heard this statement as part of a sermon on Rogation Sunday, my ears pricked up and my mind started to spin. The rest of the sermon had things to say as well, but this sentence is still the one that has stuck with me. It made, and is still making me think! For those of us who identify ourselves with the church, whenever we hear the word ‘givings’ our minds go immediately to what we put on the offering plate each Sunday and for that we expect, but are not guaranteed, that the church will be there for us when we need it; for weddings, baptisms, funerals and other rites of passage. However what intrigues me about this quotation is that first word. “ ALL giving constitutes a challenge …” And how true it is! Each time we ‘give’ something away and it doesn’t have the expected return, it is upsetting and we have all had that experience. I remember many years ago s...

'God's Presence'

“God's presence is incarnated in the times and places when and where people are willing to be vulnerable and allow the spirit to work unimpeded.”  ~ Quoted anonymously While reflecting on this statement, the story of the woman with the hemorrhage kept coming into my mind. It is told in all three of the synoptic gospels, but with a difference: in Matthew the woman does not come forward to admit  publicly  that she had touched Jesus’ cloak. If we look at the story in Mark and Luke, we see in both accounts that she was unnoticed in the touching the hem of Jesus’ garment, even by the disciplines, and could have just gone away healed and unknown [as she did in Matthew].  But although she was frightened of what Jesus might say to her because, after all, she had made him ritually unclean, she came forwarded and admitted that she was the one who touched him. And THAT act was what made the most difference to her life.  Yes, she had been healed physically...

"A Leap of Faith"

"Leap of faith - yes, but only after reflection"        -  Søren  Kierkegaard "Much of Kierkegaard's authorship explores the notion of the absurd: Job gets everything back again by the virtue of the absurd (Repetition); Abraham gets a reprieve from having to sacrifice Isaac, by virtue of the absurd (Fear and Trembling); Kierkegaard hoped to get Regine back again after breaking off their engagement, by virtue of the absurd (Journals); ... the Christian God is represented as absolutely transcendent of human categories yet is absurdly presented as a personal God with the human capacities to love, judge, forgiver, teach, etc."  (ex cerpt from   Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy - emphasis mine) Just what does Kierkegaard’s ‘leap of faith’ mean . . . especially if we consider that,   as he also postulates,  religion is ‘absurd’ [or as the dictionary says, ’ inconsisten...

"Property of Jesus"

Have you seen people wearing shirts that say "Property of Jesus"  Perhaps you have seen them for sale in a Christian book store? Have you stopped to consider just what that motto says about the wearer, or more importantly just what it might say about you? 'Property' in a business dictionary, is defined as: " Quality or thing owned or possessed . In Law: Article, item, or thing owned with the rights of possession, use, and enjoyment,...  " So if we are the property of another, then they have complete control over us. We are in fact their slave . According to the dictionary, a slave is " someone who is legally owned by another person and is forced to work for that person without pay ; a person who is strongly influenced and controlled " I wonder if the persons wearing these shirts ever consider what they are actually proclaiming? If in fact they are the 'Property of Jesus', does that not mean that they have no choic...

"On Giving Thanks"

Thanksgiving Is usually one of those ‘easy’ times for me.   It is easy to be thankful living with abundance, in safety, with family and friends – so many things to give thanks for, so many blessings undeserved. Some years and for some people, it is not so. What would Thanksgiving mean to me then? How would I deal with it? I came across this prayer not long ago ~           For that which was           For that which is           For that which will be          Thanks be to God And I began to wonder ~ Is the real meaning behind Thanksgiving not so much the ability to be thankful for those things we have in abundance? After all, that is easy.  But rather to be thankful for everything we have been given or experienced in life, or are now experiencing: the highs and the lows, the mountain-top experiences and the valleys of death, the deserts and the abundant har...

An Allegory

Once upon a time there was a knight and his lady, who lived contently for many years in a southern kingdom. As they aged however, their manor became too big for them and so they decided to relocate in a northern kingdom where smaller quarters were available. They left their friends of many years with a sad good-bye and set off for new adventures. They settled quite happily in their new abode, and joined in all the activities and merry-making until one day, they had to drop out of some of the activities because of their declining years.  No one came to ask them why they were no longer taking part. Instead the rest of the folk in that kingdom ignored them and it became very lonely for the knight and his lady The king suggested that they might be happier is a neighbouring kingdom and so they moved a short distance and set up house one more time.  This time though things went well for many years.  Then the king died. The heir apparent had many different ideas about what ...

What We Really Need....

“The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honourable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson Not long ago, after helping a friend, they made the comment that they didn’t know how to thank us for all we had done. My answer was not to worry, that it had made us feel useful, adding that was something that didn’t happen all that much in our lives any more. I had realized earlier this year, that we were, in our seventies, officially empty-nesters for the first time with both grandchildren away to university and only their parents and ourselves left to our own devices in the house we shared for 15+ years!  And it was a strange feeling, one of being suddenly less involved in life. However this latest experience with our friend led me into thinking more deeply about the need we have to be useful.  After all we have been useful all our lives. As children we probably had a pet o...

An apple a day...

I’m sure we all have heard the old adage “An apple a day keeps the doctor away”. The original phrase ‘‘Eat an apple on going to bed, and you’ll keep the doctor from earning his bread” had its first recorded use in the 1860, but the concept is quite old going back to Roman and Anglo-Saxon times. I know I heard it many times during my growing up years.  And I must admit that in late years I have tended to relegate apples to an occasional rather than a daily fruit. That, however, is about to change! The following landed in my inbox not long ago and made me rethink my relationship to the lowly apple. Any one of these claims is certainly a reason to add apples back into my daily diet. “Did you know that –according to Medical News Today, which ranks apples as the Number One healthiest food based on research studies– apples can potentially: * Have the same effect as statins in preventing vascular deaths… * Improve neurological health… * Prevent dementia… * Reduce risk of st...

To Mask or Not.....

  It was you who formed my inward parts;  you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Psalm 139:13-14(a)     I have spent most of my life trying to fit in…. sure that there had to be something wrong with me. I simply preferred the company of a book or one or two friends to a  more lively or congregant setting. I found  myself unwilling to take part in discussions as my words were either ignored or met with upraised eyebrows. Over the years I worked at ‘fitting in’ until I finally realized that that wasn't who and what I was. Now the pandemic restrictions  are being  or have been erased, I find that old feeling returning. Perhaps you’re an extrovert and glad to be in the midst of people again, to eat  inside restaurants and bars, to go to indoor parties,  to take a bus trip, to go to the theatre, or to have people to your home. While on the other hand, I am not comfor...