Skip to main content

Interrupted by ... A SQUIRREL!


Clarke was reading my latest blog on his iPad at the kitchen window this past week and I was anxiously waiting for his comments…if any.  It was taking an awfully long time!  Finally he said, “I can’t concentrate. That squirrel keeps interrupting me!”

Now ‘that squirrel’ was on the other side of the closed window. However given that the sun was shining and the temperature was hovering just under the freezing point, three squirrels, thinking it was Spring, were playing chase, darting up to the window and away. Jokingly, I said, “I could write a blog about this!” and then I began to think…..

“How often do extraneous things divert us from doing what we plan? How often do we stop doing something for just an instant, never to take it up again? How often does that momentary distraction take us away from our path?”I suspect it has happened to all of us from time to time. One of the best know cases of being distracted, is when Jesus, in the story of Martha and Mary [Luke 10:38-42], says to Martha, who is busy rushing around getting the meal prepared, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of only one thing.”

We let ourselves get so easily distracted from what is important by the unimportant. Now, I happen to believe that those those pesky squirrels who were running about, proclaiming that Spring had actually peeked through momentarily, were the important things in the above scenario. So not only do we let ourselves get distracted from the important by the unimportant, we can’t even recognize which is which most of the time!

And this led me to wonder where else this happens in my life? Where else do I confuse the important with the unimportant? Is it important whether there was or wasn't a virgin birth; whether Paul wrote 2 Thessalonians or if it is pseudographical; if Peter actually walked on water or not? And I could go on and on….

Perhaps like with squirrels, it is not what actually happened so much as what it is pointing to. The squirrels were pointing to the imminent arrival of Spring after a hard winter. The questions above and others like them point to larger truths as well. Truths like trust, love, compassion and justice. Truths I so often push aside in favour of the more concrete, the more visible, and yes, the more readily acceptable.

In this society we live in, where the important thing seems to how busy we all are, will you take a few minutes this week to focus on the unimportant, the non-concrete, the ‘socially’ unacceptable, to look a little harder for that really important thing you might be missing?


Comments

  1. what an interesting blog Lynn, i agree, we can easily be distracted from that which is important in life. Sometimes we are not aware of how easy it is to be side tracked. I often find this happens to me in prayer, I start praying to God and then from some reason other thoughts enter my mind and for some reason I am another line of thought and then I realize what on earth I am doing. I am glad that our loving God is patient with us in this respect. Sometimes I often wonder when we are distracted how dangerous it can be, for example when a person uses there mobile cells while driving and it is a good thing that the Ministry of Transportation now says it is an offence and one is charges because it has often lead to automobile accidents with either severe damage or death to the driver or someone else.
    I appreciate you statements of when Jesus was with Mary and Martha, and about Peter or other matters in the scriptures. Sometimes sitting in church one can be distracted by sounds around us or when the priest is administering the Holy Sacrements, people line up and often talk in line and it is often very distracting and quite truthfully in my opinion rude and disrespectful. Our focus should be on the matter at hand. I try to justify it by saying to myself that we are just being friendly however there is a time for being friendly after services not during services. Sometimes after communion when people return to their seats they are talking it is most distracting.
    We all love squirrels and chipmunks and look forward with such anticipation to spring that we can get lost with a realm of our own and not even realize it. We all do it because it is only human. I mean who doesn't love to watch the animal play and chase one another or if we see a few birds on the ground chirping and or even in a birdbath or bird feeder we are intrigued by it. However if something we are suppose to be doing is more important at that moment we need to train ourselves and discipline ourselves from being side tracked, and that is by no means an easy task.
    I can recall a time when driving down a country road when I took my eyes off the road as I saw a beautiful deer and because of this distraction I nearly ended up in a ditch. This could have been detrimental but thankfully I was all right.
    Your blog has certainly made a lot of sense and i really enjoy the tremendous thoughts you prepare when you blog. Today's subject was great.

    Thanks Lynn for sharing.

    Shalom, Terry

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

This, too ...

  ‘By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to set out for a place that he was to receive as an inheritance; and he set out, not knowing where he was going.’   -Hebrews 11:8  Dr. Theresa Tam, Chief Public Health Officer of Canada, says this, too, will pass . Dr. Eileen de Villa, Medical Official of Health for Toronto, says this, too, will pass . Justin Trudeau , Prime Minister of Canada, says this, too, will pass . But will it really??? Some days this feels like an unending struggle with just one tiny step forward and not just two, but more like a dozen steps back.  Of course I’m talking about COVID-19 with all its associated variants. We might even be forgiven for rewriting that well known quote from Ecclesiastes to read…. For everything there is a season,…but  just not for this ! Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, a French priest,  might well have been talking about COVID   when he penned the lines below: We should like to skip  The ...

Challenging Faith

“All giving constitutes a challenge to faith because there is no guarantee of a return.” When I heard this statement as part of a sermon on Rogation Sunday, my ears pricked up and my mind started to spin. The rest of the sermon had things to say as well, but this sentence is still the one that has stuck with me. It made, and is still making me think! For those of us who identify ourselves with the church, whenever we hear the word ‘givings’ our minds go immediately to what we put on the offering plate each Sunday and for that we expect, but are not guaranteed, that the church will be there for us when we need it; for weddings, baptisms, funerals and other rites of passage. However what intrigues me about this quotation is that first word. “ ALL giving constitutes a challenge …” And how true it is! Each time we ‘give’ something away and it doesn’t have the expected return, it is upsetting and we have all had that experience. I remember many years ago s...

'God's Presence'

“God's presence is incarnated in the times and places when and where people are willing to be vulnerable and allow the spirit to work unimpeded.”  ~ Quoted anonymously While reflecting on this statement, the story of the woman with the hemorrhage kept coming into my mind. It is told in all three of the synoptic gospels, but with a difference: in Matthew the woman does not come forward to admit  publicly  that she had touched Jesus’ cloak. If we look at the story in Mark and Luke, we see in both accounts that she was unnoticed in the touching the hem of Jesus’ garment, even by the disciplines, and could have just gone away healed and unknown [as she did in Matthew].  But although she was frightened of what Jesus might say to her because, after all, she had made him ritually unclean, she came forwarded and admitted that she was the one who touched him. And THAT act was what made the most difference to her life.  Yes, she had been healed physically...

"A Leap of Faith"

"Leap of faith - yes, but only after reflection"        -  Søren  Kierkegaard "Much of Kierkegaard's authorship explores the notion of the absurd: Job gets everything back again by the virtue of the absurd (Repetition); Abraham gets a reprieve from having to sacrifice Isaac, by virtue of the absurd (Fear and Trembling); Kierkegaard hoped to get Regine back again after breaking off their engagement, by virtue of the absurd (Journals); ... the Christian God is represented as absolutely transcendent of human categories yet is absurdly presented as a personal God with the human capacities to love, judge, forgiver, teach, etc."  (ex cerpt from   Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy - emphasis mine) Just what does Kierkegaard’s ‘leap of faith’ mean . . . especially if we consider that,   as he also postulates,  religion is ‘absurd’ [or as the dictionary says, ’ inconsisten...

"Property of Jesus"

Have you seen people wearing shirts that say "Property of Jesus"  Perhaps you have seen them for sale in a Christian book store? Have you stopped to consider just what that motto says about the wearer, or more importantly just what it might say about you? 'Property' in a business dictionary, is defined as: " Quality or thing owned or possessed . In Law: Article, item, or thing owned with the rights of possession, use, and enjoyment,...  " So if we are the property of another, then they have complete control over us. We are in fact their slave . According to the dictionary, a slave is " someone who is legally owned by another person and is forced to work for that person without pay ; a person who is strongly influenced and controlled " I wonder if the persons wearing these shirts ever consider what they are actually proclaiming? If in fact they are the 'Property of Jesus', does that not mean that they have no choic...

An Allegory

Once upon a time there was a knight and his lady, who lived contently for many years in a southern kingdom. As they aged however, their manor became too big for them and so they decided to relocate in a northern kingdom where smaller quarters were available. They left their friends of many years with a sad good-bye and set off for new adventures. They settled quite happily in their new abode, and joined in all the activities and merry-making until one day, they had to drop out of some of the activities because of their declining years.  No one came to ask them why they were no longer taking part. Instead the rest of the folk in that kingdom ignored them and it became very lonely for the knight and his lady The king suggested that they might be happier is a neighbouring kingdom and so they moved a short distance and set up house one more time.  This time though things went well for many years.  Then the king died. The heir apparent had many different ideas about what ...

To walk humbly with your God ...

1 Peter 5:5[b]  …Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” Have you ever been asked to chair a committee or lead a discussion, and said “No” even if you secretly wanted to? Have you ever responded to a compliment by belittling the speaker’s words? Have you ever ‘pooh-poohed’ the suggestion that you did something well? Well, I have, to all of the above. After all  weren't  we taught in Sunday school that we should be humble and not think too highly of ourselves? But how many of us have said “I can’t be the secretary because I can’t spell?” or “I don’t like your idea because it isn’t mine?” I wager that, like me, you come up with another excuse like “I’d love too but I’m much too busy!” or “I like your idea but it would never work!” What if we have the meaning of being humble backwards? What if being humble actually means that we are to admit our shortcomings to others rath...

"On Giving Thanks"

Thanksgiving Is usually one of those ‘easy’ times for me.   It is easy to be thankful living with abundance, in safety, with family and friends – so many things to give thanks for, so many blessings undeserved. Some years and for some people, it is not so. What would Thanksgiving mean to me then? How would I deal with it? I came across this prayer not long ago ~           For that which was           For that which is           For that which will be          Thanks be to God And I began to wonder ~ Is the real meaning behind Thanksgiving not so much the ability to be thankful for those things we have in abundance? After all, that is easy.  But rather to be thankful for everything we have been given or experienced in life, or are now experiencing: the highs and the lows, the mountain-top experiences and the valleys of death, the deserts and the abundant har...

What We Really Need....

“The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honourable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson Not long ago, after helping a friend, they made the comment that they didn’t know how to thank us for all we had done. My answer was not to worry, that it had made us feel useful, adding that was something that didn’t happen all that much in our lives any more. I had realized earlier this year, that we were, in our seventies, officially empty-nesters for the first time with both grandchildren away to university and only their parents and ourselves left to our own devices in the house we shared for 15+ years!  And it was a strange feeling, one of being suddenly less involved in life. However this latest experience with our friend led me into thinking more deeply about the need we have to be useful.  After all we have been useful all our lives. As children we probably had a pet o...

Another Road

“And having been warned in a dream not to return to Herod, they [the Magi] left for their own country by another road.” Matthew 2:12  NRSV Just the other day I was out with a friend. As we were leaving to go home we decided ‘go by another road’ and the comment was made about how biblical that was. But as I heard the preacher’s opening to their sermon this past week, suddenly I had a very different understanding of just what those words meant in the context of the story of the magi. One might say I had an epiphany! We don’t know anything about who wrote the gospels or even when or why the gospels were written. We can surmise that the authors were writing down these stories in an attempt to pass on the transformative effect the life and teachings of Jesus had had on their lives and perhaps the lives of others around them. So I have come to understand the two birth narratives to be an attempt to rewrite his birth showing this importance. As angels sang, he was revered by t...